The goal of the program is to produce highly qualified instructors, thereby reducing risk exposure for sailing programs. Topics covered in the course include: classroom and on-the-water teaching techniques, risk management, safety issues, lesson planning, creative activities, ethical concerns, and sports physiology and psychology.
This is a 4-day, 40-hour course. Attendance at all 40 hours is mandatory. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT
All candidates must have reached their 16th birthday within the calendar year that the course is being held in. Candidates under 18 years of age who complete the course will be designated as a Sailing Assistant until their 18th birthday.
Below are some of the primary prerequisites for the Level 1 Course. A full list is available during the registration process.
- Sailing experience in small boats, such as prams, dinghies, multi-hulls and small keelboats. Level 1 instructors must be able to sail any small boat sufficiently.
- Experience operating a safety boat. This course is evaluative: Powerboat skills are tested, not taught, during this course.
- Ability to swim 50 yards both with and without life jacket.
Small Boat Level 1 Instructor Certification is not valid unless accompanied by:
- First Aid and CPR Certification: from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association or and U.S. Coast Guard approved provider. Candidates do not need to complete the CPR/First Aid Training in advance of the Level 1 course, however a certification will NOT be valid unless accompanied by current First Aid and CPR.
- SAFESPORT: This program, developed by the US Olympic Committee, is required training for all Instructors. This requirement is also being put in place for other National Governing Bodies. This free online training course must be completed every 2 years. Instructor certification is not active unless SafeSport training has been completed.
- Enter your US Sailing member number, if you need to find it click here: http://www1.ussailing.org/User/RecoverMemberId.aspx
- Complete all the modules
- The course allows you to log in and out so you DO NOT have to complete it all at once
Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment.
$370 if received more than four (4) weeks prior to course start date
$390 if received within four (4) weeks of course start date
$440 if received within one (1) week of course start date
Course fees are nonrefundable but are transferable to another course/date if the Education Department is given enough notice, in writing:
• More than four weeks before the course start date: Fee is transferable to another course, credit is valid for 1 year.
• Within the four week of course start date: ½ half of course fee is transferable to another course, credit is valid for 1 year.
• Less than 24 hours’ notice of course start date (or no-show): 100% of the course fee is forfeited.
***All courses are subject to cancellation if course minimums are not met within 2 weeks of the course start date.
Fees are not transferable to another candidate.