Hobcaw is going to offer an abbreviated "Swim Team" this summer! It will be a simplified version for obvious reasons but we are so excited! We intend to offer practice twice a week and plan on having 5 intrasquad meets. Details are below:
Who is eligible?
- You must be 5 years old to participate.
- The coaches will conduct a 25 yard swim test for the 5/6 and 7/8 age groups on Monday, June 8 and Wednesday, June 10. Unfortunately we cannot accommodate swimmers unable to complete 25 yards without assistance. These swimmers will be encouraged to take swim lessons with Lydia DiBona.
- Practice will begin on Monday, June 8th. Practices will be offered on Mondays and Wednesdays through July 6. Groups will be split. Times TBD (depending on the number of swimmers per age group). Please be prepared to have morning OR afternoon practice as we may rotate. Each session will be completely cleared out before the next group can enter.
- EVERYONE attending practice must check in at the front table. Parents, please be respectful of everyone! If your child is not feeling well, DO NOT send them to practice!
- Swimmers 10 and under must have one parent or sitter (at least 16 years old) present for the entirety of practice in order to comply with the Hobcaw pool rules. 15 and under swimmers must leave the pool deck after practice unless they are accompanied by an adult.
- The shallow end will be open during regular pool hours (starting at 10am). Parents may swim with younger children once the pool opens. The pool will not open until 10am. Please do not swim until after the pool is open.
- Sign ups will start tomorrow morning, Wednesday, June 3 and end on Friday, June 5.
- After registration is completed, the coaches will divide the swimmers into 3 teams: RED, WHITE, and BLUE. All meets will be intrasquad: RED v. WHITE v. BLUE. Each meet will have a winning team based on points scored for the following age groups:7/8, 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, 15/18. There will also be an overall season winner for the team that scores the most points.
- Meets will be held on the following Tuesdays and Thursdays:
Tuesday, June 23
Thursday, June 25
Tuesday, June 30
Thursday, July 2
Tuesday, July 7
There will be no make up dates for rain outs, except for the July 7 meet where we will honor the seniors.
- Each meet will offer a limited number of events in order for the swimmers to race, have fun and keep the timeline short and sweet!
- Meets will be divided into sessions (by age) in order to maintain safety guidelines set by the Hobcaw Board (currently the limit is 100 patrons in the pool). Younger children will swim in the earliest session and oldest children in the last session. Each group will leave before the next group of swimmers are allowed in.
- Registration begins Wednesday, June 3 and ends on Friday, June 5 at 5:00 PM. We will not allow any late sign ups this year.
- Once registration is complete, we will be able to set practice time so that all groups can be safe and follow the rules of the Hobcaw pool.